Chorus is designed to teach students basic musical skills, appreciation of music of the master composers, personal responsibility and team work. It is also to prepare students for participation in chorus in the upper grades. At the end of the course the students will not only be able to demonstrate knowledge of musical vocabulary and methodology for study, rehearsal and performance of choral music but also have an understanding of working with others towards a common goal. The 6th grade chorus is directed by Mr. Stan Smith. His email address is email@example.com.
In 6th grade chorus the students will have the opportunity to sing in a large group as well as individually.
Large Group Opportunities
- First Concerts – Every year the 6th grade chorus performs Christmas music in the Performing Arts Center at TCHS. The choir may also perform a Christmas Concert for the student body.
- Georgia Music Educators’ Association District II Choral Festival – Choirs from all over our district participate in this event . Each choir is evaluated on two pieces of music by three judges who score choirs on specific musical objectives. Each choir is then judged on their sight-reading skills.
- Spring Concerts – 6th Grade Chorus will perform a Spring Concert for their school. There are times that a chorus will travel to one of the Assisted Living Residences to perform as a community Service Project as well as be a feature group during J. T. Reddick’s Honors Night Program.
Small Group Opportunities
- Sixth Grade Honor Chorus – Three students are chosen to represent Charles Spencer in Atlanta at the Annual Statewide Sixth Grade Honor Chorus. Their audition includes singing a solo, sight-reading, and singing the major, minor, and chromatic scales. This event takes place in February.
- District II Solo Festival – There is no limit on the number of participants for this group. Each student is responsible for learning a solo and singing before a judge. This takes place in April.